FLO-TAAI signs MOU with Ministry of Tourism for enhancing livelihood opportunities for women
FLO-TAAI signed an MOU with Ministry of Tourism on 21st August 2020, for enhancing Livelihood Opportunities for Women, in the presence of Shri Prahlad Singh Patel, Hon’ble Union Minister of State for Tourism and Culture.
The MOU was signed by Rupinder Brar, Adl. Director-General, Ministry of Tourism, Govt of India, Jahnabi Phookhan, President-FLO and Jyoti Mayal, President- TAAI, in the presence of the Hon’ble Minister. Secretary Tourism Yogendra Tripathi and senior officials from the Ministry along with Members of FLO and TAAI, attended the signing ceremony virtually.
FICCI Ladies Organisation – FLO is the Women’s wing of FICCI which endeavours with a vision with special emphasis on creating sustainable livelihoods and facilitating economic empowerment of women under the leadership of President Jahnabi Phookan. Travel Agents Association of India – TAAI being the premier, nodal and largest travel trade association in India has always been in the forefront for taking up issues on policy matters with stakeholders, principals as well with the Government. TAAI has always encouraged and supported all members across the country with our initiates be it education, training, technology, sales, finance and much more.
“Women have always played an important part in the growth of travel, tourism and hospitality, in each of our organisations, be it a part of our frontline teams, sales, product teams, finance as well as management. TAAI, to encourage this, recently launched its Ladies Wing called “WiT” – Women in TAAI. This historic launch by the TAAI committee comes at a time especially when the Association is led by a women President, Jyoti Mayal,” stated Jay Bhatia, Vice President, TAAI.
Jyoti Mayal, talking about the details of the MOU stated, “FLO & TAAI will be the facilitators in the process and will connect women with the relevant stakeholders, undertake training in specific verticals for enhancing their livelihood opportunities, increasing their self-awareness as equal partners in the nation’s growth and working towards their economic empowerment. This will happen under the guidance and support of the Ministry of Tourism, Govt of India.”
She appreciated the Hon. Minister for his guidance, encouragement and also inspiring FLO and TAAI on this initiate and vision.
Highlights of the MOU between FLO-TAAI and MoT:
- Involve more women in the promotion of domestic tourism under the DEKHO APNA DESH initiative.
- Create community-based tourism activities for women around iconic monuments or tourist landmarks.
- Raise awareness on Sustainable Tourism practitioners and focus on tourism as a vital sustainable livelihood tool for women’s empowerment, by way of advocacy and awareness, educational workshops, seminars to encourage the little known women eco-warriors and eco-tourism practitioners across the country.
- Train women by conducting workshops on concepts of food safety, health and hygiene, sanitation, environment, culinary skills, entrepreneurship skills to promote food tourism and women’s street food stalls, sidewalk cafes, etc. with NSDC under the endorsement of MoT.
- Reinforce the Ministry of Tourism’s ATITHI DEVO BHAVA initiative.
- Create livelihood opportunities for the women, through rural homestays in far-flung locations as well as urban homestays, so as to gain financial independence.
September 22, 2020